Lets Learn How to do Yoga
How to do Yoga: Yoga is one of the most ancient techniques meant for the physical, mental and spiritual well being. Yoga means union. Yoga helps one in going back to the source. There are several ways to look at yoga, what yoga has to offer and the reasons for adopting it into one’s lifestyle.
Yoga can be considered as a combination of physical exercises, relaxing techniques, breathing exercises, meditation etc.
Why Yoga? Ancient and Modern Views:
Yoga has become popular recently owing to the increasing health consciousness. Yoga in its most popular form is seen as a substitute for physical exercises or to increase flexibility of the body.
Modern day yoga has evolved to offer exercise, strength, flexibility, focus, concentration, happiness, health, hobby, and any other desired outcome as to suit everyone.
The oldest available treatise on yoga is “The Patanjali Yoga Sutras” Yoga according to the yogasutras is holistic and is meant for overall blossoming of every individual. It is more mental and spiritual than physical. It is considered to help one find one self and awaken the latent energies or kundalini.
So whatever is your desired outcome, Yoga offers you!!
Types and Styles of Yoga:
Several schools and styles of yoga emerged catering to the needs of the outcomes desired from yoga. A few of them are mentioned here.
- Ashtanga yoga: Ashtanga Yoga became popular in the second half of twenthieth century and it employs ancient yoga techniques. Linking every movement to breath Ashtanga applies six sequences of postures.
- Bikram yoga: Bikram Yoga also known as “hot” yoga is done in artificially heated rooms and humid conditions. It consists of 26 poses and two breathing exercises.
- Hatha yoga: Hatha Yoga has become a synonym of yoga and physical postures. It is generally considered as introduction to the basic yoga postures.
- Iyengar yoga: Iyengar Yoga uses a range of props, such as blocks, blankets, straps, chairs, and bolsters. It mainly focuses on finding the perfect alignment in each posture.
- Jivamukti yoga: Jivamukti Yoga is a combination of physical and spiritual techniques which began with the purpose of achieving “liberation while living” or “Jivamukti”. These practices focus on the fast-paced flow or vinyasa while switching from one pose to other rather than on the pose itself. Each class has a theme, which is explored through yoga scripture, chanting, meditation, asana, pranayama, or music or a combination of them. This yoga can be spiritually and physically intense.
- Kripalu yoga: Kripalu Yoga mainly focuses on the body. It is about knowing, accepting and learning from the body. A student of has to learn and adopt to his own practice looking inward. Kripalu Yoga also teaches certain breathing exercises and gentle stretches.
- Kundalini yoga: Kundalini means “coiled like a snake.” It is believed that we humans posses energy in the dormant form in the base chakra or the muladhara chakra. Kundalini yoga practices help in activating this energy and its upward movement towards sahasrara chakra or the bliss centre. It includes meditations to release this pent-up energy. It also includes chanting, singing, asana, pranayama.
- Power yoga: Power Yoga is active and athletic type of yoga inspired from the traditional ashtanga system.
- Sivananda Yoga: Sivananda Yoga is a kind of philosophy. It is based on a five points. It is about breathing, relaxation, diet, exercise, and positive thinking. It uses 12 basic asanas which are the sun salutations followed by savasana poses for relaxation.
- Viniyoga: Viniyoga does not depend on the physical ability of a person. Viniyoga requires in-depth expertise on anatomy and yoga therapy.
- Yin: Yin is a quiet, meditative yoga practice. Yin yoga releases tension in key joints, including: the ankles, knees, hips, whole back, neck and shoulders
- Prenatal yoga: If you want to know how to do yoga during pregnancy, prenatal yoga is the answer. Prenatal yoga is especially designed for pregnant women. It supports health during pregnancy. It also supports women in getting back into shape after pregnancy.
- Restorative yoga: Restorative Yoga is a relaxing yoga. It is just four or five simple poses. The focus is on relaxing and uses props like blankets and bolsters to sink into deep relaxation.
How to do yoga at home without an instructor?
Yoga is generally cosidered easy and safe. Yet one can really reap the benefits when learnt from a well-trained instructor. With the availability of numerous guidance online one can as well learn from these platforms. “Yoga for Beginners” classes are available in plenty on various online platforms. Yoga is more beneficial and safe when done under guidance. But it would not take much time for one to become an expert and practice by oneself.
Injury due to yoga is rare. But anyone with an on-going medical condition, such as high blood pressure, glaucoma, or cardiac problems, joint pains should talk to their doctor before practicing yoga. Women who are pregnant or under menstruation need slightly different practices specifically meant for them. They might have to alter or avoid some yoga postures.
Beginners should difficult poses such as headstand, mayurasana etc. One should remember that the focus should be on oneself, and one should listen to one’s body. Perfection happens over a period of time and one should remember that Rome is not built in just a day.
Advantages of doing Yoga?
Yoga helps in acheiving desired fitness goals like weightloss, weightgain, flexibility, endurance etc
Yoga improves energy levels and makes on feel good about themselves.
Yoga improves concentration, reduces stress and anxiety.
On continuous practice Yoga is said to yield spiritual benefits like improved mindfulness, peace, happiness, awakened kundalini energies.
Yoga is a fage old practice which adapted itself for the Modern needs. The stretches and poses stimulate inner peace, physical energy.
There are many different types of yoga. Depending on what you want and your current level of physical fitness you can choose such kind of yoga.
Yoga can be a key to a balanced lifestyle.